Friday, March 16, 2012

Yesterday...

Yesterday started Spring Cleaning at BSRA and the weather was, for the major part of the day, wonderful. The horses all had their noses deeply buried in round bales of hay within  the pastures and the rescues ate and napped in the March sunshine. These are the days I have always enjoyed playing hooky, whether from school or work. Not too hot (though it is warmer than March should be) and the sky so blue it beckons one outside to marvel in the brightness of its azure arch.

We have been using a homeopathic topical gel on Vince's legs to draw out any heat, encourage healing from the inside. When the leg was first injected the big gelding would kick your head off at the mere thought of touching the inflamed limb. Now he just flats his ears for a moment, cribs a few times and then returns to his hay. Darling daughter M took his first round of hand walking, along with the other invalids, Mouse and Savannah. Sneaky is currently allowed free rein to wander around the property but can usually be found in the new pastures eating and soaking up the sunshine.

I spent a long time with the Super 6, feeding carrots and using marigold spray against the early crop of flies Georgia is experiencing. Each had a different reaction to the holistic fly spray, which works just as good as any pesticide yet doesn't contain any poisons. Marigold spray also stays working for several days without need for reapplication. I highly recommend it, especially with horses that have systemic issues.

Dyna loved the carrots and stood patiently for the spray. There was no hesitation or shying away from the touch of spray against her skin. I am growing very attached to this intelligent mare. The way she studies me when I come to interact with them, her willingness to come to me and the thoughtful way she smells me from head to foot. I cannot wait until her quarantine is over and we can put a saddle on to see what she knows. Perhaps she was a cow pony, or a sure footed trail pony?

Maple (who I think should be named Joni) wanted my carrots but not the fly spray. She did not even want to sniff the bottle, making me wonder what trials she has been through. Throwing the bottle out of the stall I stretched out my hand to reassure her I would make no efforts with the spray. Poor mare, I find myself full of sorrow as we wait for results on the tattoo to come back. We have asked other Thoroughbred rescues and associates to help us with her poor lip tattoo.

Sparky and Dozer both had the same reaction - spray for carrots was a fair trade in their eyes. Though neither was as patient and willing as Dyna, they didn't shy away or flinch. Good solid geldings, what a wonderful after working with goofy gelding.

Dolce wasn't happy about the fly spray and I make sure to avoid the cuts and bites she received before coming to BSRA. Her eyes are still guarded, Dolce is considering her condition more so than the others appear to be doing. Now that her winter coat is shedding out the ribs are more visible, but so are the bites and kicks endured during her journey.

After spending time with the rescues it was my turn to hand walk Vince. The new pastures have wonderful baby grass coming in and after a month in his stall he was ready for grass! His 1000 pounds of horse dragged my 5'5" frame all over the pastures. Only the increasingly closer claps of thunder saved me from more arm pulling. Then the storm broke over the valley in its full intensity, bringing more rain to the already damp ground. The two ponds are full, the new grass is popping all over the farm and Stella's belly is growing more day by day.

Spring on a farm - there really isn't anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment